Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Importance of Education a/k/a Gettin' Schooled

I remember my college graduation very well. My grandmother attended and was so proud that one of her grandkids (there were 8 of us) had gone to college - I was the first. When I returned to her and my parents afterwards, my dad asked me how I felt. Being young and thinking I knew everything, I answered, I am SO glad to be done with all of this learning. My grandmother, at the age of 80, chuckled and said, Don't be silly. You'll never be done with learning. Wow, was she ever right. Because of her, I adopted a new outlook - you truly do learn something new every day, whether you want to, or not.
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to attend a youth worker's conference at Messiah College and was completely blown out of the water. What an awesome experience it turned out to be. Reggie Dabbs was a dynamic speaker - funny, serious, motivational, inspirational and interactive - altogether amazing.
I'm still processing the information that was "uploaded" yesterday, but I already feel recharged and a renewed sense of purpose for my work with the youth group.

No comments: