Friday, October 2, 2009

(unofficial) Christian Heritage Month

When I was a child, I attended church in a large tent. Like a circus tent, only brown - and with folding chairs instead of bleachers. No hymnals, just a projector and a folding screen to put the words to the choruses on. When the weather was fair, we had Sunday school classes outside at a picnic table. It was definitely not a typical church experience. A church building was eventually built, but I think it is fair to say that I grew up feeling a lack of . . . . something.
.
Last evening as I flipped through channels, I was thrilled to catch the last hour of one of my favorite movies, Bella. (An aside, if you have not seen this movie, I would encourage you to rent it. Such a sweet film.) It was announced that the movie was being played in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month. My husband teased me about my favorite movies as he passed through the living room, which made me think about what it is that I like in a movie. I tried to root out the common themes in Bend it Like Beckham, Bella, Bride and Prejudice (just the first three that popped into my head). It is the sense of family and heritage that I love.
.
Well, that led me to thinking about my own heritage - not genetic, just because I'm the same Irish/Scottish/German Heinz 57 Variety as just about everyone else around here. Interesting, yes, but not enough of any one thing to lay claim to a heritage month or special holiday all my own. However, I do feel a strong sense of my Christian heritage, which is exactly what I felt was lacking during my growing up years. We are all adopted into the family of God, therefore I can claim as family other followers of Christ.
.
So, my thought is, even though, there very well might actually be a Christian Heritage Month, here on my blog this month, I will be featuring stories about important historical figures in church history. If you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to consider them.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Hi, It is the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi on October 4. He is the Saint of Animals and the environment. Also on October 4 it is customary for Catholic churches to hold ceremonies honoring animals around the world. More commonly in the Franciscans church. Blessing of the Pets. I am going to take my mother on Sunday to a Blessing of the Pets.