Thursday, October 29, 2009

Festivals and Fall

It is my absolute favorite time of the year! Fall!
.
I took these pictures a few weeks ago, and I've been remiss in forgetting to post them. Hartslog Day is an annual festival held in October (something about a man named Hart, owning a log - I don't know exactly). What I do know is that it is pretty much everything a fun fall festival (alliteration is a gift, folks) should be.
.
Here is the street scene at 7:30 in the morning. We beat the crowds. We found a parking space. We hit the ground shopping. Kind of like Veni, Vidi, Vici but lots of women with big purses and tote bags instead of Roman soldiers with swords.

It wouldn't be Hartlog Day without a stop at the traditional pumpkin totem pole, created by students at the local elementary school.
I think this one was my favorite. Moooooo. Or is it a dalmatian? I love the face whatever it is.

Or maybe the scuba diver? With a strawberry on his head? Laying a Steelers egg?
Now, time for the parade. With a marching band, fire princesses, classic cars, boy scouts and . . .
.
.
.
Shriners. I love the costumes. Especially the shoes.
After some serious socializing, shopping and Shriners (again with the alliteration), it was time to wander through the food vendors. The smells, oh the smells.
.
This was my selection. Hot sausage with peppers and onions. It was sooooo good. It was also 9:30 in the morning. Sausage is a breakfast food, right?
This was my mom and my daughter's choice. I had a few bites, too. Funnel cake is a fair and festival staple.
Happy Fall!

2 comments:

Kylie said...

I'm giggling at the origins of "Hartslog Day". A dude named Hart, who owns a log.

Hehehe!

Susannah said...

Hey, thanks for taking us along to the fair! I vote for the scuba diver. (Who ever thought of a pumpkin totem pole?)

I wish I loved fall as much as you do. For us up here in the PNW, it's been gray, overcast and rainy. (Glad we took some time off to enjoy some sunshine down south!)

I've always wanted to try funnel cake. It "smells" delicious!