Monday, August 3, 2009

Mawwidge, It's Wot Brings Us Togevver



Every time I think of the word marriage, or attend a wedding, or someone announces their engagement, I automatically think of the above clip from The Princess Bride. And yes, I realize that is completely abnormal.

This weekend provided me with some much needed downtime, during which, I caught a few of what I'm going to call wedding reality shows. You know, the ones where they feature overblown weddings, unrealistic expectations, downtrodden grooms, entitled brides and more angst than you can shake a stick at? As I watched one pitiful bride burst into tears about napkin color, all I could think was that this poor woman was going into marriage completely unprepared for real live marriage. I realize that all of the drama was overblown for my viewing pleasure, but reality hit when I thought, that for some, more effort goes into the wedding than the marriage that will follow. Weddings are just one day, marriage is a lifetime commitment.

My husband and I recently celebrated our 15th anniversary, which, as I posted earlier, brought back fond memories of our wedding day. Like most other couples, we looked forward to the ceremony and the reception, and especially to the "happily ever after". We received a rude welcome into the world of married people when our car began to overheat halfway to our honeymoon destination (note - my husband is many, many wonderful things - mechanically inclined is not one of them). Struggling not to bicker, even though we were tired, stressed, scared and hungry, we ended up laughing until tears streamed down our faces. What could have been a terrible beginning to our lives together turned into a memory we still laugh about.

I realize the context of these verses is not related to marriage, but I think they really do sum up what a committed relationship between a husband and wife should be.

But Ruth said:

“ Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.
Where you die, I will die,
And there will I be buried.
The LORD do so to me, and more also,
If anything but death parts you and me.”

Ruth 1:16-17

1st Monday Every Month at Chrysalis
Want this button?

8 comments:

Michele said...

Great Post! Enjoyed reading. You have a Beauitful Blog

Susannah said...

Totallyl appropriate verses from Ruth... a favorite passage, indeed. Thanks for posting the video clip!

And thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday today, April.

Blessings,

e-Mom :~D
http://chrysaliscom.blogspot.com
http://susannahsaprons.blogspot.com

Tami said...

Glad you've made it over the long haul!

Heather said...

Really weird...I posted my wedding vows on my friend's marriage blog the other day...and they are the exact verse you posted! (in the NIV, however). You should check it out... thelittlewifey.blogspot.com

Donetta said...

Good Morning Oh I think that verse is just perfect! Commitment and compassion are universal

Constance said...

The longer I am married the more important laughter becomes! If you can't laugh together at what life throws at you, then we are taking ourselves too seriously! Thanks for the reminder!
Connie

Stacy said...

I love this! And I LOVE The Princess Bride...don't even get me started or I'll be quoting it all day. :-)

Kylie said...

Wuvvvvv. Trueeee Wuuuvvv. I love that movie.

It's funny that I posted about my husband just before reading this. I remember when I was getting married and "A Wedding Story" was all the rage on TLC. I would wonder why people were spending so much money on this wedding when I was happy that my family was providing the (very good) food! People definitely forget that after the wedding hoopla is over, the MARRIAGE is what's most important. Yes, a wedding is an important occasion, but it's only the beginning of a lifetime of ups, downs, valleys, and peaks.