Sunday, August 2, 2009

Quilt Odyssey

This past Thursday, I was given an awesome opportunity to attend Quilt Odyssey in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
.
Quilt Odyssey is a combination of a quilt show and huge vendor's mall. We explored the quilt show first and every single display was amazing. Some of the quilts were very old, the oldest of which was made in 1810. I just could not believe that the colors were still just as bright as the day they were made. Other quilts were impossibly complicated - one was a winter forest landscape made of thousands upon thousands of tiny pieces of fabrics. I came away awed and inspired.
.
Speaking of inspiring, there was a stand set up called Hugs and Kisses. Here, there were a dozen or so sewing machines set up with quilt kits at each one and visitors to the show could volunteer to piece a quilt for a child at Hershey Medical Center. If I understood correctly, they were hoping to have over 150 quilts to donate. I didn't get much done on mine, but here are some of the squares from the station I sat down at.


Last, but certainly not least, was the vendors mall. Coming from a virtual sewing desert (fabric shops are few and far between), I needed a moment after walking into the shopping area. Gadgets, machines, patterns, jewelry, bags and fabric galore. Here's a picture of my loot, before I took a second sweep of the mall.

I feel the need to confess something. See the red cloth, prominently displayed in the photo? I have loved that pattern ever since I first laid eyes on it. It is peonies on red from the Pop Garden line designed by Heather Bailey. I had not been able to find it ANYWHERE. So, while perusing items in one of the vendor stalls, I looked up and there it was! An entire bolt of the stuff! I did what any self-respecting grown-up woman would do - I pulled the bolt off the rack and danced with it. Yep, it was just that exciting for me. I'm so lucky my aunt still acknowledged that we were related after that display. Maybe growing up with my dad desensitized her?

It was such a fun day, and sewing projects will surely follow!

No comments: