Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Jonah Day

One of my favorite series of books is Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Anne's personality just leaps off of the pages, so much so that I've absorbed some of her vocabulary into my own. Anne has a special name for a day in which nothing goes right - a Jonah Day.
.
Today was most definitely a Jonah Day.
.
Yesterday, I was informed by a friend that a very nasty stomach bug is circulating throughout our local school district. Last night, I was given irrefutable evidence collaborating that information. My daughter had a very looooooong night and so did I. Running on empty, I went to work, knowing she was in good hands, but feeling guilty anyway. I spent my day in a sleep deprived fog, which was very counterproductive to the tasks at hand.
.
It was one of those days where you keep trying to do the right thing, but the wrong thing prevails. It was most assuredly a Jonah Day.

4 comments:

Susannah said...

Ah, beloved A of GG... I don't remember her use of the phrase "a Johah Day" but how telling! Sorry you had that kind of day today. :~D

Susannah said...

There were a fair number of Scripture references in the Anne books, right? Do you think the author was a Christian?

April Feagley said...

I believe she was married to a pastor. She had an interesting, but mostly unhappy life from what I can find.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

I love, love, Anne of Green Gables too!