Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Prescription for a Bad Day

(simply because this picture makes me smile!)

Today knocked me down, kicked me a few times and stole my lunch money. That’s how it felt anyway. The day began dramatically with a clap of thunder and a bit of lightening, but I pulled myself out of bed and got ready for work and had hope that today would be filled with sunshine and rainbows.

That, my friends, did not happen.

Today was filled with uncertainty, irritation and stress. Lots of stress. Not sure- did I mention the stress? By the end of the day I was a mess, just wrung out and used up. Once dinner was in the oven, I had a bit of time to reflect on my somewhat disastrous day (okay, so disastrous might be a tad too dramatic). I tried to figure out where I went wrong today. Where could I have spoke or acted differently that would have changed the today’s course? Was there anything I could have done? Maybe, maybe not. Some days are just those kind of days.

It’s funny, though, as I sit here this evening writing this post, dreading what might be round two tomorrow, an old Sunday school song has lodged itself between my ears. Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say Rejoice, which is, of course, taken from Philippians 4:4. Having this particular song stuck on repeat prompted me to take a closer look at this particular verse, and the verses surrounding it.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:4-7 NIV

Wow. As it turns out, the early Christians were apparently pretty familiar with bad days. I’m sure that their opinion of a bad day and my opinion of a bad day were vastly different. I’ve been known to pitch a fit if I put a hole in my nylons. They were risking persecution, imprisonment and even death. Paul was very familiar with those dangers. He spent time before his conversion being the persecutor and after, being the persecuted. Yet, as he closes his letter to his brothers and sisters in Christ, he gives them some very solid advice. Rejoice. God has your back. God is big. Huge. Immense. Unfathomable. And He has it all under control. Rejoice.

4 comments:

beachmommy said...

Very well put!!! Thanks..Makes you think about your "bad" days and really put it all together!!
BTW..you can borrow my lunch $$ anytime:)

Donetta said...

Those wonderful moments of perspective where our focus gets realigned. Your day will be much better even it the events are the same. Your focus is changed.

Susannah said...

Sorry you had a nasty, no good, very bad day. :~D

It's interesting to think about the early Christians, and how difficult their lives must have been at times. :~D

Sara x said...

Thanks for sharing these scripture today, as i am having one of those days.

Hope tomorrow is better for both of us xxx